Welcome to bigfoothill.

Greetings to you. May you feel at home and enjoy what I am sharing on this little corner. I am learning as much as I can from you and fellow blogger community. It is my first attempt at blogging. Who knows, it could be another source of information for the community and at the same time it could well be another source of income for me as I am as much interested in making money online. Let's go from here...

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Now you see it. Now you don't - People's Gymnasium Bukit Mertajam

To you who are celebrating the Chinese New Year of the Rabbit, the festival is still happy and merry. Wishing you prosperous new year. Soon, Valentine's Day is coming and then the Chinese Valentine's Day which is on the 15th day of the Chinese new year which falls on Thursday February 17, 2011.

Just when I went to the General Post Office at Bukit Mertajam this afternoon, I was caught in the queue at the railway gate as there was a very long goods train approaching from Butterworth.  When I reached the doorstep, it is time to close for business for the day. To my shock, as I came out and look around, the People's Gymnasium at Bukit Mertajam town located just next to the local public library building has been demolished today together with a row of buildings which used to be former government housing quarters for the government servants opposite the OCBC Bank.  The other two buildings, a former General post office and local Telecommunication Office situated in between the gymnasium and the quarters are still standing but have been vacated.  They will make way for the flyover interchange above the present railway tracks as the construction works for the double tracking for electric train project has progressed to a certain stage.  This is good in a way as there will be less traffic congestion as there will no longer be a gate crossing being closed for traffic when the train comes to Bukit Mertajam town.

The People's Gymnasium was demolished today

Gone with the wind?

The green netting barricades was the location of the former government quarters once stood
I mentioned that I was going to check out the gymnasium someday.  Now it is too late for me to get my six pacts abdomen muscles at the People's Gymnasium.  Let us hope the government will replace it and relocate it at a convenient place for the community of Bukit Mertajam, Penang, Malaysia. Let us hope there is no loss to Bukit Mertajam's heritage building as Penang State is under the UNESCO World Heritage conservation program.

Now you see it.  Now you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment